Marriage licenses may be applied for at the Probate Court between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Probate Court is located at 5200 East Jim Bilton Boulevard, St. George, SC, 29477.
The requirements to apply for a marriage license are:
- Both parties must be present to file the Marriage Application.
- Both parties need to bring their original Social Security cards.
- Both parties need to bring a government issued form of identification, which may be one of the following: Driver's License, Military Identification, Highway Department Identification or Passport.
- Persons who have been divorced within the last twelve months need to bring a copy of their divorce decree.
- If you are under the age of eighteen (18) you must bring a certified copy of your birth certificate and be accompanied by a parent or guardian to give consent.
- $40.00 filing fee. CASH ONLY.
There is a 24 hour waiting period before you can receive your marriage license. You do not have to be a resident of this state to apply for a marriage license. The license is only valid if the ceremony takes place in South Carolina by ministers of the Gospel, accepted Jewish Rabbis, or officers authorized to administer oaths in South Carolina (Notary Public). A blood test is NOT required. For additional information you should contact the Marriage License Division at (843) 851-5785.
To obtain a certified copy of your marriage license ($5.00 per copy) you may do one of the following:
- Visit https://www.southcarolinaprobate.net/search to request copies online.
- Mail in a Request for Certified Copy form, include the following: self-addressed stamped envelope and the required fee. Make checks payable to: Dorchester County Probate Court.
- Walk in and request a certified copy. We are located at 5200 E. Jim Bilton Blvd., St. George, SC 29477.