Military Members – Please be advised, January 17, 2017 was the applications deadline for Legal Residence for the 2014, 2015 and 2016 tax years.
Dorchester County Appraisers are out measuring properties and could be visiting your property soon. Appraisers should have a Dorchester County ID Badge and may leave a flyer on the door if you are not home. If you have any questions about someone that might have visited your property, please contact our office at (843) 832-0162.
NOTE: IF YOU ARE USING GOOGLE CHROME AS YOUR INTERNET SEARCH ENGINE, PLEASE BE AWARE THAT MANY OF OUR DOCUMENTS WILL NOT OPEN. PLEASE CHANGE YOUR INTERNET SEARCH TO INTERNET EXPLORER OR ANOTHER KIND.
4% Legal Residence Application 9-2016 : Please WAIT until your deed has been recorded with the County Register of Deeds Office before you apply for the exemption or your application may be denied and/or returned. This form is 8.5 x 14 in size. Please adjust your paper and printer if needed. If you have problems opening this document, you may need a newer version of Adobe. The best address to return the form to is our St George location. Please do not fax this application to our office.
Active Duty Military members who are not living in their home must apply each year (by the tax penalty date) for the current tax year in which you are applying.
H3027 amends SC Code of Law 12-43-220(c)(2)(v). Please read this law before applying for the exemption for a complete and full understanding of the law.
Legal Residence application: 4% Legal Residence Application 9-2016
4% AGRICULTURAL APPLICATION: Application - Agricultural Discount
As of July 2015, the Assessor’s Office charges a $30 fee for all returned checks on services provided.
The Assessor's Office is responsible for the assignment of values to all real estate properties and mobile homes; not the tax amounts.
What This Office Does
- Appraise Real Property & Manufactured (Mobile) Homes for tax purposes
- Conduct County Wide Reassessment every 5 years as required by the Department of Revenue
- Accept & process appeals of values generated by this office
- Transfer ownership of real property through recorded deeds
- Maintain property boundary lines using recorded information for visual representation of each parcel of land through GIS mapping procedures
- Process 4% Legal Residence Properties
- Provide property record cards (Shows sketch of buildings & other related information)
- Provide aerial & tax maps for sale upon request
- Measure & appraise new construction for tax purposes
- Maintain & process Multiple Lot Discount applications for developers owning 10 or more lots in a homogenous neighborhood
- Provide actual & potential rollback tax information
- Change mailing addresses for real property & mobile home owners as requested
- Provide spreadsheet for public use to estimate property tax amounts
- Issue Moving/Name Transfer permits
- Issue new Decals for Mobile Homes
- Represents the County in real property & mobile home value appeals to the Board of Assessment Appeals
- Maintains GIS Mapping Web Site with property information
This Office Does NOT
- Give legal advice
- Research real property for legal claim
- Have tax or other information on vehicles, boats, motors, or other person property (See Auditor)
- Accept payments for County property taxes (See Treasurer)
- Assign site addresses
- Grant exemptions for real property (See Department of Revenue)
- Give information on delinquent taxes
- Set or change fees (i.e. Solid Waste Users Fee (SWUF), Storm Water Waste Management Fee (STWMF))
- Assess manufacturing or utility properties
Dates & Deadlines
- Multi Lot Discount Forms (May 1st of Any Tax Year)
- Agricultural Discount Forms (Jan 15th For the Previous Year)
Important Forms & Documents