Mailing Address & Office Location:
Dorchester County Probate Court
Attn: Marriage License Division
5200 E. Jim Bilton Blvd.
St. George, SC 29477
Hours of Operations: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM Monday – Friday, excluding holidays
Summerville Phone: (843) 832-0104 St. George Phone: (843) 563-0104
Requirements to Apply for a Marriage License
1. Both parties must appear together (in person) to file a written application. This application contains the following information: both persons seeking the contract of matrimony are legally entitled to marry together with the full name of the persons, their age, place of residence, social security numbers, or the alien identification number assigned to residents aliens who do not have a social security number.
2. Both parties must bring their original Social Security cards.
3. Both parties must have identification (photo ID).
4. Any applicant under the age of eighteen (18) years old must file an original birth certificate or certified copy, which becomes part of the permanent record of application. The parent or legal guardian of the minor applicant must appear at the same time as the minor to present identification and sign a form consenting to the marriage.
5. $40.00 filing fee. CASH ONLY
There is a 24 hour waiting period from the time of application until you can receive your marriage license.
Applicants do not have to be a resident of this state or county to apply for a marriage license.
The license is only valid if the ceremony takes place in South Carolina by ministers of the Gospel, accepted Jewish Rabbis, or officers authorized to administer oaths in South Carolina (Notary Public).
A blood test is NOT required.
Download a copy of the Marriage License Application
Note: The Application must be signed by both parties, in-person at the Probate Court Office.
Request a Certified Copy of a Marriage License
A certified copy of a Marriage Licensed issued by the Dorchester County Probate Court may be obtained in person at the Probate Court office, during normal business hours.
Note: A $5 fee per copy must be paid, in cash, at the time the certified copy is received.
Marriage Licenses may also be located online at https://www.southcarolinaprobate.net/search
For all other records requests and/or questions please contact the Marriage License Division of the Dorchester County Probate Court at (843) 832-0104.